I can’t get enough of avocados at the moment – on toast, in my morning smoothie, blitzed up with cacao, maple syrup and strawberries for a tasty dessert.
I mean really…… is there nothing that this little green fruit can’t do? They’re just so versatile.
Finding the right balance of fats during pregnancy is crucial to the health of your baby and one of the best fats to include in your diet is omega-3 fats, and you guessed it, avocado is packed full of the stuff and benefits you and your baby.
Health Benefits of Avocado
- They Contain More Potassium Than Bananas.
- Avocado Is Loaded With Heart-Healthy Monounsaturated Fatty Acids
- Avocados Are Loaded With Fibre
- Eating Avocados Can Lower Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels
Do you remember a few years back when Instagram was awash with smashed avo on toast? (yes hands up, I’m totally guilty of the avo and toast phenomena) well this version has had a little upgrade and it’s not too shabby to serve up at your next dinner party (when we’re eventually allowed to mingle again) and your guests will love it.
This version is made with an olive tapenade which is normally made with anchovies, but as a vegetarian, our salty little fish friends have been spared. You can either make the tapenade at home or buy a small jar suitable for vegetarians or vegans.
To make the tapenade you’ll need the following:
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp capers
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
In a food processor, use your pulse setting to blitz up; you don’t want to over do it as you’re looking for a nice finely chopped texture, we’re not making a spread here. If you don’t have a food processor you can chop up as finely as possible.
Avocado Tapenade and Egg Toast
- 2 eggs boiled
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 slices of your favourite bread Sourdough is delicious
- 2 tbsp. tapenade
- coriander leaves to serve
- microgreens to serve
- Boil the egg for 7 mins. Toast the bread.Remove the stone and flesh of the avocado and cut it into slices. Cut the eggs into quarters. Spread the tapenade over the bread and top with the avocado and egg. Season with salt and pepper. Top with coriander and microgreens (optional).