Chakalaka is a South African vegetable relish that may have originated in the townships of Johannesburg when Mozambican mine workers coming off shift cooked tinned produce with chili to produce a spicy relish. This risotto i the perfect comfort food, curl up on the sofa whilst enjoying this and binge watching Netflix.
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2/3 cup 150g risotto rice
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger grated
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 ¼ cup 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup 175g sweetcorn
- Heat the oil in a large deep pan and sauté the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the risotto rice, thyme and curry powder and stir fry briefly. Next add the grated ginger and chilli, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour in the hot stock, bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer under cover for approx. 20 minutes, checking periodically. If the liquid is absorbed before the end of cooking, add some more water.
- Next add the grated carrot, red pepper, chopped tomatoes and sweetcorn, mix well, cover and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly.