My body is in desperate need of a digestive overhaul.
A few weeks back I picked up the sickness bug that engulfed our house for almost two weeks and since then my digestive system has been shot to pieces and I’m not even pregnant!!
Constipation hits us all, and never more so than when we’re pregnant.
In the past I’ve shared the ugly side of the digestive health issues I faced when I was pregnant with my first child and the excruciating discomfort I dealt with. It was one of the many reasons I decided to modify my lifestyle and embark on a healthier balanced way of eating and one of the many reasons I decided to start this website.
When I use the term ‘discomfort’ I should emphasise this is probably the most discreet and subtle term I can use, but there were days when I was literally too scared to sit on the loo for fear I might push that baby out and during my second pregnancy I really wanted to look at alternative and natural processes to get things moving.
Combined with the added stresses and worry we have during pregnancy, there is the addition of those crappy hormones (they have so much to answer for) which can cause the intestinal muscles to relax more and which, in turn slows the whole digestive process down and for many of us who take prenatal vitamins that contain added iron this will also contribute to the slow down in the number of times we go to the toilet. Everything backs up and before you know it, you’ve been sat on the loo for an hour and you still can’t go.
For me the saving grace was flaxseed and I added it to everything, especially smoothies and yogurts.
Flaxseed is an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids and contain soluble fibre and natural oils which lubricates our system and gives a little helping hand to the regularity of our bowel movements.
For me however, this delicious digestive boosting granola really was the best thing I ever ate during my second pregnancy. I started each day with a bowl, either on its own or at weekends when I had a little more time, I’d add fruits such as chopped apple and berries which are both excellent fibre- filled fruits to ease the discomfort.
The beauty of homemade granola is you can mix up the ingredients each time you make it and it never gets boring.
This granola is packed full of energy boosting nuts and seeds and the magic ingredients???? FLAXSEED & PRUNES.
Prunes or dried plums are also rich in fibre and contain the natural laxative sorbitol. I confess to hating prunes, they literally make me gag when eating them whole but chopped up in a granola they’re easier to stomach and they’re natures best cure for constipation.
Digestive Boosting Granola
- 250 Grams Grams Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Organic Natural Honey
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil for a dairy free option or butter melted
- 1/4 Cup Flaxseed
- 1/4 Cup Grams Sunflower Seeds, pumpkin seeds and flaked almonds (Optional)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Prunes
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Mixed Spice ( optional)
- 1. Heat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 42. Over a low heat melt the butter / coconut oil,cinnamon, mixed spice and honey together.3. In a thick clean plastic bag put the nuts and bashthem up with a rolling spoon, always good if you need to take some frustrationout.4. Add the nuts, seeds and flaxseed to the oats ina large bowl and stir in the melted butter mix5. Combine the mixture well ensuring all the oatsare fully coated.6. Spread the mixture on a large baking tray andbake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Give the tray a shake every fiveminutes so that it colours evenly and doesn’t burn.7. Once cooled it will crisp up, stir in your choppedprunes. This keeps for a month in an airtight container.